I Found a Wasp Nest in My Backyard and Did This to Destroy It!


I once had a problem with a wasp nest in my backyard. It was a big and scary-looking nest that hung from a tree branch. I wanted to get rid of it, but I didn't know how. I did some research online and found out that there are different ways to deal with a wasp nest, depending on what kind of wasp it is and where the nest is located. Some of the methods I learned are:


- Spraying the nest with a pesticide: This is a good option for nests that are open and exposed, like the ones made by paper wasps. You can buy a wasp spray from a store or make your own with soap and water or peppermint oil. The best time to do this is at night or early in the morning, when the wasps are not very active. You need to wear protective clothes and spray the nest from a safe distance, aiming for the opening or the center of the nest. Then, you need to get away quickly and wait until the wasps die. After that, you can take down the nest and throw it away.   


- Applying insecticide dust to the nest: This is a good option for nests that are hidden and hard to reach, like the ones inside walls, attics, or underground, like the ones made by yellow jackets. You can buy an insecticide dust from a store or make your own with boric acid or diatomaceous earth. You need to find the entrance of the nest and apply the dust at night or early in the morning, when the wasps are not very active. You need to wear protective clothes and use a tool to inject the dust into the nest. You may need to do this for several days until the wasps die. Then, you can seal the entrance and remove the nest if you can.  


- Covering the nest with a bag and drowning it: This is a good option for nests that are small and low, like the ones made by hornets. You can use a plastic bag or a cloth bag to cover the nest and tie it at the top. You need to do this at night or early in the morning, when the wasps are not very active. You need to wear protective clothes and use a ladder or a pole to reach the nest. After covering the nest, you need to cut it off from the branch or the eave and put it in a bucket of water. You need to leave the bag in the water for at least a day to drown the wasps. Then, you can throw away the bag and the nest.  


Before trying to remove the nest, it is important to know what kind of wasp it is and how big and where the nest is. You also need to check if you are allergic to wasp stings and have a first aid kit ready in case of an emergency. If you are not sure or not confident about removing the nest yourself, you should call a professional for help.   



I decided to use the first method, spraying the nest with a pesticide, because it seemed the easiest and safest for me. I bought a wasp spray from a store and followed the instructions on the label. I waited until night and wore long sleeves, gloves, and a hat. I sprayed the nest from about 10 feet away and ran back to the house. The next day, I checked the nest and saw that all the wasps were dead. I used a stick to knock down the nest and threw it in the trash. I was glad that I got rid of the wasp nest without getting stung or hurting myself.